Argentina World Cup
Argentina’s World Cup 2022 team defeated Australia 2-1 in the round of 16 to advance to the quarterfinals of the competition.
Argentina’s World Cup 2022 team defeated Croatia 3-0 in the semifinals before eliminating the Netherlands on penalties in the quarterfinals to go to the championship game in Qatar.
Not least because the 2021 Copa America champions included Lionel Messi in their lineup, the Albiceleste were one of the early favorites to win the Qatar World Cup 2022. Messi has scored five important goals for Argentina, demonstrating with his inspired play why they were such heavy favorites.
Of course, Argentina’s World Cup experience hasn’t been all smooth sailing; in one of the biggest upsets in tournament history, they were defeated 2-1 by Saudi Arabia in their opening match. However, the South Americans were able to pick themselves up, and in their next two group games, they defeated Mexico and Poland 2-0.
The Manchester City player has replaced Lautaro Martinez as the team’s starting striker, and he has done so by scoring four goals in return for his manager’s trust. Leandro Parades and Angel Di Maria were replaced in Argentina’s starting lineup by Alexis Mac Allister and Enzo Fernandez after the duo struggled against Saudi Arabia.
In addition to Lionel Messi’s talent, Lionel Scaloni’s ability to change direction mid-game if the first strategy isn’t working could prove essential versus France. In terms of strategy, Scaloni rejects every football doctrine. In the same game, he will transition from a 4-2-3-1 to a 5-4-1, a skill that has benefited Argentina thus far in the tournament (Saudi Arabia aside).
Argentina now believes it’s time to pull the scab off the ghosts of 1986 and win a World Cup after scratching that 28-year trophy itch at the 2021 Copa America.
Argentina World Cup 2022 squad: The final 26-man team
- GK: Emi Martinez (Aston Villa)
- GK: Franco Armani (River Plate)
- GK: Geronimo Rulli (Villarreal)
- DF: Marcos Acuna (Sevilla)
- DF: Juan Foyth (Villarreal)
- DF: Lisandro Martinez (Manchester United)
- DF: Nicolas Tagliafico (Lyon)
- DF: Cristian Romero (Tottenham)
- DF: Nicolas Otamendi (Benfica)
- DF: Nahuel Molina (Atletico Madrid)
- DF: Gonzalo Montiel (Sevilla)
- DF: German Pezzella (Real Betis)
- MF: Angel Di Maria (Juventus)
- MF: Leandro Paredes (Juventus)
- MF: Rodrigo De Paul (Atletico Madrid)
- MF: Alexis Mac Allister (Brighton)
- MF: Enzo Fernandez (Benfica)
- MF: Exequiel Palacios (Bayer Leverkusen)
- MF: Guido Rodriguez (Real Betis)
- FW: Lionel Messi (PSG)
- FW: Lautaro Martinez (Inter Milan)
- FW: Paulo Dybala (Roma)
- FW: Angel Correa (Atletico Madrid)
- FW: Julian Alvarez (Manchester City)
- FW: Thiago Almada (Atlanta United)
- FW: Alejandro Gomez (Sevilla)
Who is Argentina’s best player?
Lionel Messi is having the time of his life in his fifth (and possibly final?) World Cup appearance, and his detractors have all but disappeared since winning the Copa America. Instead of dreaming of victory for Messi, Argentina now dreams of victory for Messi. The Flea always plays the full 90 minutes, regardless of the position; Scaloni just wants to keep him happy.
- KXIP vs DC Live Score: updates scorecard and XIs
- LSG vs RCB live score: Updated scorecard, XIs, toss, stats and match prediction
- New Zealand vs Pakistan, 2nd ODI – Live Score & Commentary
- Punjab Kings vs Lucknow Super Giants, 38th Match – IPL Live Cricket Score 2023
- Rajasthan Royals vs Chennai Super Kings, 37th Match – IPL LIVE CRICKET SCORE 2023 MATCH
New Zealand vs Pakistan, 2nd ODI – Live Score & Commentary